Why do I need to clean my pellet store?
It is advised that you clean your pellet store annually to ensure you get the most from you pellet boiler. It is important that your storage and handling system is correctly designed, constructed and maintained. This ensures that pellets arrive in your boiler in the best state to achieve optimum combustion to provide you with economical, trouble free heating and hot water.
What will happen if I don’t clear out my fuel store?
With every delivery and subsequent transfer of pellets to the boiler there is an element of dust created by pellet attrition which will accumulate over time. This may not be visible from the inspection hatch of the fuel store as dust can collect on the wall of the fuel store and in the augers, pellets can stick to the dust and can eventually lead to the auger blocking in due time causing a considerable amount of damage.
Can I do it myself?
It is possible to do this yourself however we advise for best safe practice that you see the HSE Safety Notice as shown on the UK Pellet Council Website.
Key considerations when doing this yourself are:
– Pellets stored in poorly ventilated space can let off a dangerous quantity of odourless carbon monoxide.
– Check the atmosphere with an appropriate device before entry into the pellet store.
– Keep children away from the store room.
– No smoking, fires or naked flames.
– The room should be adequately ventilated before entering. Keep the door open whilst inside.
– There is a danger of injury from moveable parts.
– Within your boiler house you should have a carbon monoxide warning notice. See Below.
How much will it cost for Ecolyf to do this for me?
The cost will depend on a number of variants including:
- Level of service you require
- Your location
- The size of your pellet store
- Access to your pellet store and the equipment needed
We can tailor the cost of the service to suit your needs, for the best quote please fill out our contact form in as much detail as possible.
What will Ecolyf do for me?
Ecolyf will provide a quick and efficient cleaning service by a team of specialised and trained engineers, with the right equipment and experience to ensure your fuel store is suitably equipped for your summer wood pellet refills in preparation for the winter.
How do I prepare my pellet store for cleaning?
With careful planning ensure your pellet storage container is emptied before cleaning so that minimal pellets have to be removed. We recommend that you have arranged a bulk blown delivery for the same or following day to avoid any delay in restarting your boiler.
Can I use the pellets I take out?
No. We strongly advise disposal of any pellets removed from your store as pellet degredation should be expected.